Daniel Niemeyer

Subtitle

Home

Forum Home > To Do's List > To Do's List (ver 3.3, bld DN3321) sync

JakeS

For the purposes of this post, I am assuming that "Settings > Task Export" is the only place to set up syncing.

In the "Task Export" menu the first option is "User" -- must this information be filled out in order to sync?

Below the "User" option, we find the "Synchronization" option. At present, these are:

• iCal
  • Gmail

I am most interested in syncing with Gmail, but could you speak to both of these options?

Anyhow, in the Gmail sync option (the only one I am familiar with) we see:

• Sync at Startup: ON/OFF
  • Gmail Account

Could you please explain what the "Sync at Startup" toggle does, why it's important, and whether it needs to be "ON" or "OFF" for Gmail syncing to work?

Then, under "Gmail Account" are fields for both Username and Password.

I enter the information for both fields correctly and then click "Done"

First a little pop-up looking window says "Authorizing" and then I get the following error msg:

"Authentication Failed: Your username and password could not be verified. Double check that you have entered them correctly and please try again."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  :)

============================================================================= 

Notes:

I have tried "User" both ways (unfilled, and filled-out).

I have also tried "Sync at Startup" both ways (ON and OFF).

These seem to be the only two earlier threads related to syncing:

I have also looked in the Help & Documentation section, but it appears to be from an earlier version.

July 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Daniel Niemeyer
Site Owner

JakeS at July 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

For the purposes of this post, I am assuming that "Settings > Task Export" is the only place to set up syncing.

In the "Task Export" menu the first option is "User" -- must this information be filled out in order to sync?

Below the "User" option, we find the "Synchronization" option. At present, these are:

• iCal
  • Gmail

I am most interested in syncing with Gmail, but could you speak to both of these options?

Anyhow, in the Gmail sync option (the only one I am familiar with) we see:

• Sync at Startup: ON/OFF
  • Gmail Account

Could you please explain what the "Sync at Startup" toggle does, why it's important, and whether it needs to be "ON" or "OFF" for Gmail syncing to work?

Then, under "Gmail Account" are fields for both Username and Password.

I enter the information for both fields correctly and then click "Done"

First a little pop-up looking window says "Authorizing" and then I get the following error msg:

"Authentication Failed: Your username and password could not be verified. Double check that you have entered them correctly and please try again."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  :)

============================================================================= 

Notes:

I have tried "User" both ways (unfilled, and filled-out).

I have also tried "Sync at Startup" both ways (ON and OFF).

These seem to be the only two earlier threads related to syncing:

I have also looked in the Help & Documentation section, but it appears to be from an earlier version.

Hi, 

Thank you for posting your inquiry,

To clear out your doubts, the User section, is to automatically set up your default email account, so that the application knows where to send the requested email backup files, and in some cases special iCal supports and Gmail aswell. But within the syncronization section, one can choose to sync ones's task with both currect services prescribed, where To Do's List would simply send tasks to the choosen server and migrate other present data.

As iCal is mainly implemented throughtout the application and the iPhone, hence there is no setup required whatsoever, just few minor options, whereas Gmail is a more complex third-party service, where other options apply.

As seen from the information given, I believe that you have to login to your gmail account on your computer/ mobile device and enable the google calendar option, that can be found under gmail preferences/ services. Once you enable Google Calendar, please try again and enter your account information, which should now be verified and presumebly work.

A last word about the "sync at startup" switch. If the switch is ON, the app will simply download tasks from the server at startuo and when closed, upload your new entries/ changes. If the switch is turned OFF, you will have to manually sync your data between both servers.

I hope that enlightens your enquiry,

If anything else, please do not hesitate to ask,

Sincerely,

Daniel.

--

To Do's Official Head Developer.

July 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JakeS

Thank you so much for the reply, Daniel.  :)

September 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JakeS

"A last word about the 'sync at startup' switch. If the switch is ON, the app will simply download tasks from the server at startuo and when closed, upload your new entries/ changes. If the switch is turned OFF, you will have to manually sync your data between both servers."

How (where?) do I manually sync the data?  Having it set to "ON" causes the app to crash after about ~5 secs, so I'm going to leave it set to "OFF" (once I can get in for long enough to switch the slider back.

September 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.